Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MarketLink
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 09:01:01
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- House GOP prepares four spending bills as shutdown uncertainty grows
- Smooth as Tennessee whiskey: Jack Daniel's releases rare new single malt. How to get it.
- Herschel Walker’s wife is selling the Atlanta house listed as Republican’s residence in Senate run
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 9: Cast, premiere date, trailer, how to watch new episodes
- Report: Teen driver held in Vegas bicyclist hit-and-run killing case expected ‘slap on the wrist’
- Prosecutor says theory that 2 slain Indiana teens died in ritual sacrifice is made for social media
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- 8 people sent to the hospital after JetBlue flight to Florida experiences severe turbulence
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Hunter Biden sues Rudy Giuliani in latest 'laptop' salvo
- In Sweden, 2 explosions rip through dwellings and at least 1 is reportedly connected to a gang feud
- Less-redacted report on Maryland church abuse still redacts names of church leaders
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Survivor host Jeff Probst previews season 45 and reveals what makes a great player
- Brooks Robinson, Orioles third baseman with 16 Gold Gloves, has died. He was 86
- Could LIV Golf event at Doral be last for Saudi-backed league at Donald Trump course?
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
When is the next Powerball drawing? 4th largest jackpot climbs over $800 million
Florida to seek death penalty against man accused of murdering Lyft driver
Capitol rioter who trained for a ‘firefight’ with paintball gets over four years in prison
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
As many as a dozen bodies found scattered around northern Mexico industrial hub of Monterrey
Horoscopes Today, September 26, 2023
Taking estrogen can be important for some people, but does it cause weight gain?